Reflection on my time at UWC-USA.




I still remember the first day I step on a beautiful Montezuma castle. Being welcomed by the second year and walk through the human cage filled my heart with euphoria. Meeting Goldi and Hala on campus felt as if I was meeting my new family. Well, indeed they were my family.  My two huge luggage make it hard to go to Chum through the rocky road. Revisiting this memory also brings back the recent memories I had with my other roommate the next year, Aida. I was eating calmly in the caf while waiting for the next bus in which my roomie name is on the list. But then, I got a call from my friend that my roomie is here. I was super shocked as I thought she will come later. I ran down the stairs, going back to my room and sprinting to the Welcome Center. Before I reach there, I saw my roomie inside a car so I was waiting. Our first meeting was a bit awkward but I really try my best to be friendly and accommodate her to my best. She looked super cute and innocent at the same time. I didn't know that it was the time where destiny calling me. Never would I know that she would be my soulmate, my other half, and my bestest roommate and best friend I could ever have.

Today I wanted to take a look back to my experience at UWC-USA. Of course, it wouldn't reach all aspects of my experience, but I still wanted to evaluate my time at UWC. The big thing that I realize during both years there is how much I have changed. Not changed, evolve I should say. I have discovered the big chunk of my self during my time living in thousands and thousand miles away from my family. The independence side of me was having a party for the past two years. They were celebrating having the full responsibility to live all by myself and prepare everything by myself. It was indeed a great opportunity. I learned how to not take many activities more than I could handle. I got to choose for myself and not having someone decide anything for me. Buying groceries is my full responsibility. Managing income and outcome has become a new part of my routine. I take care of my own body, what  I eat, how I want to be presented to the outside world, and my health. Everything about me is my decision. The feeling of joy to experience this overflows my heart.

This mindset also applies to who I decided to hang around with. The kind of circle I want to be part of. Which one, that one or the other. To be very honest, the first year was an experience year. I almost fell into the well that I should not enter regardless of my beliefs and ideas. Turns out in fact, I received recognition. I gained popularity and know more people as I continue being in that well. Liberation, freedom, limitless, non-boundary, and more. But it also shows me how beautiful friendship is. Solidarity, together, laughter, jokes, family, love, and others. It's just it was not the right well for me. It was way there, out of reach. I wasn't part of the family in the beginning and I would never be. It turns out to be true. It is not the place where I belong. Even when I'm being very pessimistic about everyone around me at that time, we all tried. I and they have tried to accept each other and try to be friendly, but it ain't working. It was that thing when something does not click no matter how hard you tried. Side note tho, it is also because I know it can't be like this. the tradition, the culture, the conversation was away too far different from my culture. It felt like I was lying and pretending to be myself and try to fit in in the environment. I know It's wrong and I decided to leave. The decision that wasn't easy as I have to leave who I loved the most, hurt him and leave scars that may last forever. But it is for the best and I don't want to regret even deeper. I am sorry.

However, I got lucky on my second year. Everything started to look better and way positive. The painful past of my first year still lingering around me from time to time, but the people I surround myself with healed it. They are my bandaid who cover my wounds and allow me to start new and fresh. I am the most grateful for my favorite two people who stick around since the beginning till the end. One of which I spent New Year and Christmas together and the other one who I always celebrate Korean + Southeast Asian culture with. If the Nobel prize has a nomination for the best person, I would give it to both of them. Ah, I forgot one more person, my first ever friend on this campus. The big sister of mine since day one. My most gracious and thankful heart belongs to you all.

It was sad to know that I get better in my second year while knowing the best people out of all in only a year. I wish I could have spent more days with my firsties whom I loved the most. Create more memories, get to know each other deeper, have a dance party, and deep storytelling as well. I have promised myself to revisit them whenever that would be. To come to their home country and say hi. Simply asked how are you doing and tell them I miss them so bad. Spending an entire day having a picnic on a sunny day while catching up on each other lives. I will do that one day for sure.

In terms of academic and professional education, I got obviously one of the best education. IB is a really stressful, intense, and busy curriculum. But it prepared us for good. Great performance and knowledge come with sacrifices. It achieved after blood sweat and tears of trying and effort. I am not disappointed at the school, instead, I was grateful to be able to experience it. I don't have many critics or rant about it.

Overall, I was pleased by how I perform, behave, and experience my time at uwc. The do's and don't;s is different for everyone and I'm glad I got it laid out in the end. Being lost at the beginning until the further middle journey was not the best moment. Failure, disappointment, regret, and shame-filled myself the whole time. In the end, it was worth it. I got to know myself, my ego, my persona, my shadow, my animus, and anima. It all may not be a complete 100% discovery, but I would not be able to be where I am right now if it wasn't because of UWC.

A lifetime experience with the infinite network has enabled me to be confident, dream big, and trust myself. Big thank you for that, UWC!

Komentar

Postingan Populer